Saturday, February 13, 2010

Love Not the World

This is Valentine's weekend.
You know that retailers love that "weekend" - more time to sale their wares.

Anyway, around the 14th of February every year we hear lots about love. Of course this is the "eros" love -- love for one's sweetheart.

I am prone to think about "what do I love?"
To what do I give my time and resources, my love?

Indeed, isn't a sure sign of love what one "gives" for it?

We know that God has so loved us that he "gave" His only begotten Son, the Lord Jesus, to save us from hell.
As one ancient has said,"We are most like God when we give." And God is love.

However in the same book of the Bible that teaches us that truth, we are also taught "Do not love the world or the things in the world." -- 1 John 2:15

That's the sharp point to me -- do I love the world and things in this world?

If I love the world and the things in the world it will show, will it not? It will show up in my decisions. It will show up in my bank statement. It will show up in how I spend my time. It will show up in what I give my mind, my eyes, my ears -- and ultimately my heart -- to.

What does my life reveal about what I love?
What does my conversation reveal about what I love?

We are taught in Scripture that the first and greatest commandment is to what? "Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul, mind and strength."
Catch that word -- "all".
That doesn't leave room for the world or the things in the world.

Does my life reveal that I love God with everything?
Does my conversation reveal that God is my treasure above else?

I pray that I will not be enamored with this world, this world that is passing away, this world that hates my Savior and seeks to lure me further and further away from Him.
May I love the Lord my God with a pure, undivided heart.
To His glory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home