Friday, November 16, 2007

What's the answer, preacher?

Often times folks who know me as the preacher will ask the hardest questions. This usually is when they are coming out of the door on Sunday mornings, or between Sunday School and worship service, or at a restaurant when my boys are running wildly around the place, or on the phone, when I have called about something else.
Sometimes I am asked these hard questions when people have been asked by others the same question, they aren't sure of the answer so they say (I guess) "I don't know. I'll ask my preacher." Also these questions come from parents when their own children have asked them the same thing and they don't know the answer to some theological conundrum that you just can't find the answer to in your 1972 copy of McDowell's "Truth That Demands A Verdict."
Of course I do not mind these questions. It drives me to think and to study and to pray. These are certainly all good things. I just hope the people asking the questions are not disappointed when I have to say back to them, "Well, I am not exactly sure myself." You say a flash prayer and say "Oh, dear Father, forgive me for not knowing the answer to this question but please, Lord, help me, right now say or not to say the right thing."
Evangelism is a humbling experience, which really is a humble life. I do not know the answer to every question. I know THE Answer, and I look to Him for everything. At the same time, what a blessing to be a workman, to study to show thyself approved unto God, rightly dividing the word of truth. I guess, like Peter exhorted us to "be ready", I am seeking just that, to "be ready."
Well, the phone has just rung. Someone is coming out here to my office to see me about something, be ready preacher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home