Friday, January 11, 2008

Loathing Sin

One of the things that fascinates me and infuriates me is how in modern day evangelicalism we have really toned down or in some cases completely left out the concept of sin and our need to be saved from it.
I guess it is not seeker-friendly to preach about sin, and the fact that we are sinners -- foul, wretched, poor, blind sinners in the hand of an angry God.
I do not make a habit of watching many TV preachers -- I do like to watch some (Adrian Rogers, Charles Stanley, John MacArthur, David Jeremiah, and I receive a blessing from the now deceased Bishop G E Patterson out of Memphis) but I have stopped by to watch Joel, Joyce, and some of the rest. And what I don't hear is talk of the blood, and why Jesus Christ came and died. Where is the Gospel?
If it is like this on what we see on TV, one can fearfully imagine what are the sheep (goats) hearing at churches all across this land? Is the Gospel being proclaimed? What about sin and the need for a Savior from sin and the punishment that sin brings?
Yesterday I read on a website that I love, Grace Gems, these words from the Puritan Thomas Watson -- I doubt you'd hear them (sadly) in many 21st Century pulpits:

"Then you will remember your evil ways and wicked deeds, and you will loathe yourselves for your sins and detestable practices!" -- Ezekiel 36:31

A true penitent is a sin-loather. If a man loathes that which makes his stomach sick, much more will he loathe that which males his soul sick! It is greater to loathe sin -- than to leave it. The nauseating and loathing of sin, argues a detestation of it.
Christ is never loved --- until sin is loathed.

Heaven is never longed for --- until sin is loathed.

When the soul sees its filthiness, he cries out, "Lord, when shall I be freed from this body of death! When shall I put off these filthy garments of sin -- and be arrayed in the robe of Your perfect righteousness! Let all my self-love be turned into self-loathing!"

We are never more precious in God's eyes -- than when we are lepers in our own eyes!

The more bitterness we taste in sin -- the more sweetness we shall taste in Christ!

Thank you Brother Watson for these words. Now, may Jesus be sweet and sin be loathed. And the Gospel of Jesus Christ be proclaimed in all the earth!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home