Monday, December 10, 2007

Disqualified

"No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." -- 1 Corinthians 9:27

That is the first verse of Scripture that came to mind as I just finished reading a story about a 39-year old pastor of a large SBC church in Alpharetta, GA who resigned as Senior Pastor after being charged with domestic abuse against his wife. It seems that the pastor and his wife got into a fight after a charge about an affair was leveled. She claims that he pulled her hair and then pulled out a shotgun. She called 911 and had him arrested. The newspaper report said that after he announced his resignation from the church that the congregation gave the man a standing ovation. For what, may I ask? For being a wife-beater? Or for a being a dudley-do-right young pastor (CEO?) who always said the right things and who made the church grow, GRow, GROW! And they hated to see him go away.
Admittedly I have never met Pastor Witcher, but I do know (based on the reported facts) that something was/is seriously wrong in the man's life. Instead of clapping, the congregation should have been weeping and mournful over his sin and theirs too, crying out to God for help and mercy.
This is something I have found I must do constantly -- cry and plead for God's help and mercy. I am a sinner; I need a Savior. Apart from HIM I can do nothing. I also know that the enemy is real and dangerous, prowling around like a roaring lion seeking (a pastor, a church, a Christian) whom he may devour and destroy and besmirch the name of Jesus all over the Atlanta (and world) area.
Yes, my dear brethren, weep, mourn, seek the Savior.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home