Saturday, December 15, 2007

Here It Is

A while back a dear friend gave to us a really nice bird feeding "system". I use the word "system" because this goes beyond what I have always been accustomed to in bird feeders. I have been accustomed to a rigged-up pole (usually an abandoned clothes line pole) and a plastic feeder from Wal-Mart that the squirrels would quickly take over, clean out and I would say, "Forget this man, I ain't payin' to feed no yard rats." Then weather would claim the empty forsaken feeder. There would be few birds in my yard, and if they wanted satisfaction, they would have to find it elsewhere.
But now, things are different. With the "system" I have an engineered pole, that fits snugly into our dry NC dirt. It is telescopic, and add-ons are available. Mine has a squirrel baffler, half-way up that prevents them from climbing up to the food. There are two branches coming off the pole that allows me to hang two feeders of my choosing. Our friend gave us a narrow, cylindrical feeder, with yellow highlights, that holds thistle for small chickadee-type birds. They love this stuff and eat at it all the time, fighting one another for space on the feeder. On the other branch there hangs a Yankee dipper. It is larger, cylinder-shaped and it holds more of a classic feed -- sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, just a dash of corn kernels to really tempt the squirrels. Now the neat thing about this larger one is that the little stands on the feeder are collapsible, they will not hold the weight of a yard rat. IF they COULD get to the feeder, they couldn't stay on it -- HA, HA!
It didn't take long after assembling the "system" to get the birds to come and get it. Now, I am really attentive to keeping the tubes filled, especially on a day like today when it is cold and precipitation is on the way. It sits right outside the computer room window so as Rach works she can see the birds. We have a bird book, a field guide, given to us by my dear sister several Christmases ago that also comes in very handy. Who knows, I might become an ornithologist (or whatever that fancy word is for bird-watchers) one day.
Anyway, as I think about all of this I think about the invitation to come and dine from our Lord Jesus Christ. He says, "Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me." (Rev. 3:20)
He is there, He alone can satisfy the hungry soul, He invites us to "Come" to Him. He is the "bread of life." In Him we are safe, no one can pluck us out of His hand.
There is no need to keep searching, "Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food." (Isaiah 55:1-2)

What a gracious, all-satisfying Savior we have! He is no "system", He is a real Person Who loves and abides and keeps and Who never runs out and Who never leaves nor forsakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home