Thursday, March 06, 2008

A Rough Week

Last Wednesday morning, early, we received a desperate call from R's mother that we should come to her house -- quickly.
On Monday we had gone to Sycamore to see Rachael's dad and mom. We had a nice visit and even shared some laughs. Upon leaving I told Rachael that her dad really looked good, as strong as I had seen him for quite awhile. He had been off of his experimental chemotherapy for about two-three weeks as he battled infection. We hoped that he was getting stronger for the next go-round.
On Wednesday morning, he died.

It has been a long, yet all too quick 7 months since his diagnosis. He fought with tremendous courage and we are thankful for the time we have had with him. He was my wife's hero. He was the light of my mother-in-law's life. At his memorial service I shared this verse as I began my remarks about him, " . . . that you aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you, that you may walk properly toward those who are outside, and that you may lack nothing." (1 Thess. 4:11-12)

In the week that has passed since he left earth for heaven, my anchor has been 2 Cor. 4:14, "knowing that He who raised up the Lord Jesus will also raise us up with Jesus . . . Therefore we do not lose heart."

Praise be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home