Monday, June 25, 2007

Recently Returned

I realize that I have been away (again) for an extended time from blogging. Life is crammed full sometimes, and bloggin' takes a seat way in the back for me.
I know that I have not completed the series (barely begun) on why to believe the Bible, but it hasn't escaped my mind. I will get back to that.
In the meantime, I have been traveling alot lately. First of all I attended the Southern Baptist Convention in San Antonio, TX. The convention was good, I thought. The rancor was not there, and I believe that President Frank Page keeps it that way. He was elected with that in mind (and re-elected as well). One of the major items was that the SBC re-affirmed our committment to the Baptist Faith and Message (2000) as a guide for our entities. Of course most entity heads didn't like this idea, and will probably ignore it and hire and direct their enetites as they deem appropriate. This could come back up, as we as messengers desire to go back and live by (as opposed to just giving and hearing lip-service) the notion that the SBC is an inverted pyramid, with local churches and believers being at the top, not an elite. We skirted the issue of regenerate, accountable membership and a resolution by Tom Ascol was rejected. I think this is sad. We report to the world that the SBC is the largest protestant denomination in the US, with some 16 million members -- yet we all know that this is not exactly the case. Less than half of those come to church. I wonder of that reported 16 million how many are actually disciples of Jesus Christ? We also heard some disturbing facts, like how many young people are NOT being won, and in a great message by Rob Zinn and by Ed Stetzer, perhaps why this is so. God grant us courage and wisdom to do what we need to do -- cling tightly to the non-negotiables and not cling too tightly to the negotiables.
Anyway, I left San Antonio on Thursday, June 14 and was delayed a total of five hours from my original itenerary -- sitting in airports due to United Airline's poor service that day.
Preached on Father's Day and left for vacation right after church. Gone all last week with family. Returned Saturday, preached all day yesterday and now sit here on Monday morning typing for a moment.
Have had a couple of visitors already in the office this morning, and am encouraged to know that God is at work in the lives of people, seeking to save that which was lost. We serve an awesome and gracious God. May we live every moment in complete surrender to Him and all to His glory and honor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home