Friday, May 30, 2008

No Greater Joy

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 4

Thus said the Apostle John in the midst of many attacks on the truth. What a joy it must have been for this beloved disciple to know that the "children" he had been ministering to, sharing the love of Jesus and the truth of the Gospel message with, were standing firm in the truth.

In the first century, as now in the 21st century, the truth is attacked all of the time. We have an enemy, his name is Satan. He hates the truth. Go all the way back to the Garden of Eden, he disputed the truth of God's word, "Did God really say that, Eve?" So, he slithers up beside us and says the same, causing us to question what God has said, when we know that God cannot lie -- He is incapable of lying.

That is why I share in John's joy when I hear of and see "my children" walking in the truth. Please allow me to share a couple of examples.
Yesterday I was on the phone with a church member, and in the midst of our conversation they told me, with excitement, that they had indeed read through the entire Bible -- in actually less than a year. This person is a mature Christian, but had never read the entire Bible straight through. Now that they have, they were filled with delight, and cannot wait to continue into another turn through the entire Bible. I rejoiced with them when they shared this with me. I know that they will be a stronger Christian, armed with the sword of the Spirit in their fight with Satan.
Also, yesterday i discovered that at least two church members (families) have their own weblogs. As I linked to these I was again blessed to read their thoughts and adventures, with a view to the cross. What a blessing, I never (at least until yesterday) knew about.
This happens periodically. I will have the opportunity to visit or spend some unhurried time with a church member and discover that God is really working in their lives, that they are walking with Him and listening to Him and seeking to please Him. This is edifying to the pastor, who so often looks out over his congregation and sees blank stares and little movement at the time of decision and wonders -- "is it getting through?" It drives me to the Holy Spirit with greater fervency to do His supernatural work as His Word goes out. Then I get to taste and see that indeed the Lord is good.


Thank You Father, for Your people. Bless them and keep them, I pray, from the evil one. May they be strengthened with might, and be able to stand in this evil day. I pray that we will all be fully armored for the fight. Be glorified, Father and may Jesus be lifted up in every life of your children, as we surrender to and rely upon the presence of Your precious Holy Spirit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home