Tuesday, September 16, 2008

HABAKKUK 2:4

Habakkuk? Who is that? Isn't that an odd name for someone? How often have you heard a message, a sermon, a lesson, from the Biblical book of Habakkuk?
I once had an OT professor at LU say, "Wouldn't it be embarrassing to get to heaven and meet a guy named Habakkuk and have to admit, 'hey,I've heard of you, but I never took the time to read your book in the Bible.'"
Habakkuk actually has a lot of great things that we must learn and cling to -- it is indeed the Word of God. It is valuable and authoritative.
Today i think about Habakkuk 2:4 which reads, "Behold, his soul is puffed up; it is not upright within him, but the righteous shall live by his faith." It is the last part of this verse that is so meaningful today.
I went to the hospital, or surgery center, today to be a with a family whose loved one was having surgery. When I went into the waiting area, I noticed out of the corner of my eye a lady sitting by herself, and had in her hands what looked like rosary beads. I just moved on and sat with the family i was there to see. I realized later that I had sat down right behind the lady with the beads.
We began to talk, I and the family i was there to see. We talked about life. I made the comment that life was ultimately in the hands of the Lord our God. Man could say this or that, machines and tests might show this or that, but our lives were in the hands of God.
We started talking about various folks who have been visiting our church, and it was mentioned that one gentleman was a Roman Catholic. I said that was fine, but that when I preached I tried (with God's grace and the Holy Spirit's power) to convey that being saved was by faith in Christ alone. That "unless one is born again they cannot see the Kingdom of God." I said that I was afraid that many people, Catholics included as well as everyone else, lived under the false belief that we could earn God's favor by doing good works, and going through certain rituals and keeping some sacred rites.
The truth is, as stated in Habakkuk 2:4 is that we are saved, justified, declared right before God by faith and by faith alone, in Christ alone.
The lady behind me with the rosary beads jumped up and said "I appreciate much of what you have said, but I am a Catholic -- I teach school, I go to church, I am praying the rosary for my husband . . . and I trust Jesus." I said "Well that is great, but it is faith in Christ alone that saves us -- not any of these other rituals. We must trust Christ. He alone is our Savior."
About that time we were called to see the doctor as the surgery was complete. I left this dear lady with the message that "I pray that you know the truth; for the truth is what sets you free."
I pray for many of my friends and neighbors who might be trusting in anything other than Christ to get to heaven. It is not Jesus plus anything. Jesus paid it ALL. On the cross it was He who said, "It is finished." The price for my sin and yours was paid, in full.
"In my hand no price I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling."

1 Comments:

At 8:30 PM , Blogger Katie said...

Just wanted to let you know I enjoy reading your blog! Have a nice night! Love ya!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home